Servings: Original recipe said serves 4-6 but this is a 2 mealer for me!
1 - 1 1/2 cups farro (original recipe calls for 1 cup but Trader Joe's has 1 1/2 cup 10 minute bags)
2 leeks, halved and then chopped into 1/2 - 1 inch pieces
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt (I use Trader Joe's nonfat version)
1 lemon, juiced
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 cup shredded chicken
1/4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
5 oz baby bella mushrooms, cut into small chunks
1 zucchini, chopped (mine is in large chunks but that's because I was too lazy to cut it smaller)
1 tablespoon fresh mint, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook 1 - 1 1/2 cups farro according to instructions. Rinse with cold water, drain, and set aside.
- Heat a pan over medium heat and coat with cooking spray or olive oil. Cook 2 chopped leeks, 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper, 5 ounces chopped mushrooms, and 1 chopped zucchini for a few minutes. You want the leeks to soften but you don't want the other vegetables to get too soggy. If you want crisper zucchini then I'd recommend adding them for the last minute or two then.
- If you are using fresh peas or forgot to thaw them (like I did), then blanch them by adding them to a pot of boiling water for about a minute until they're bright green and then move the peas to an ice bath to cool.
- In a large bowl whisk together 2 tbsps olive oil, 1/4 cup Greek yogurt, juice from a lemon, and 1 tsp of lemon zest.
- Add to the bowl the cooled farro, peas, sauted vegetables, and 1tbsp chopped mint. Toss until everything is coated.
- Add salt and cracked black pepper to taste.
- You can serve this warm but I prefer it cold and it keeps well in the fridge.
Rosy's face in the photo below just kills me!
"What's in that bowl?! Something delicious for us?!" (Sorry Rosy, not for you!)