Servings: I used a 9-inch round cake pan and it all fit in there perfectly.
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 cups milk
4 eggs, separated
1 1/4 cups powdered sugar (plus extra sugar for dusting the cake at the end) or 3/4 cup granualted sugar
1 tablespoon water
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Lightly butter the cake pan (I used a 9-inch round pan but most versions of this recipe call for a 8x8 baking dish).
- Melt 1/2 cup butter and set aside to cool.
- Gently warm 2 cups milk and set aside to cool.
- Whip 4 egg whites to stiff peaks. Stiff peaks means that when you turn the whisk over the peaks should stay up. Using a copper bowl or adding a couple drops of vinegar midway through the whisking helps.
- Beat 4 egg yolks and 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar (or 3/4 granulated sugar) until combined.
- Mix in 1/2 cup melted butter and 1 tbsp water for about 2 minutes or until evenly incorporated.
- Mix in 1 cup flour.
- Slowly beat in 2 cups milk and 1 tsp vanilla extract until everything is well mixed.
- Fold in the 4 egg whites slowly.
- Pour batter into pan and bake for 45-60 minutes, until the top is golden.
- Allow cake to completely cool before cutting into it. Cutting into it too soon will yield a liquidy center. You can place the cake into the fridge to cool it faster.
- Finish with a dusting of powdered sugar on top.
Mmm mmm good!
My cake was not as fluffy as it should've been but it was still delicious!White on Rice Couple.