This dish is really quick and easy to put together so long as you do all the prep in advance. I did all my chopping on Sunday and then tonight when I came home from work I cooked up the bulgur and then tossed everything together - so easy! The only pain about this recipe is chopping jalapenos. I used to chop them willy nilly until one horrible day I rubbed my eye long after having chopped and washed my hands. Oh the burn! And then my fingertips wouldn't stop burning too! I must've had a super spicy batch that time. But ever since then, I make sure to wear gloves when chopping jalapenos!
If you want your dish spicier feel free to add more peppers. And season this dish generously as it tastes better with a good helping of salt. This can be served either warm or cold, so I think I'll be making this a lot during the hot summer months!
Servings: 4 (but this is a 2-3 mealer for me)
1-1 1/2 cup uncooked bulgur
1 1/2 cups diced zucchini
1 15-ounce can of corn, rinsed and drained (or use fresh corn if you have it)
1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup grape tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup chopped green onions
3/4 cup diced Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeno peppers
1 cup chopped or shredded cooked chicken
3 tablespoons cilantro, minced
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup lime juice
3 tablespoons jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook 1-1 1/2 cup bulgur according to directions. (I put this range because the original recipe calls for 1 cup but Trader Joe's has an awesome little bag of 10 minute bulgur and that's 1 1/2 cups so I figured I'd just use the whole bag).
- Once bulgur is cooked and drained, add 1 1/2 cups diced zucchini, 1 can of corn, 1 can of black beans, 1/2 cup halved grape tomatoes, 3/4 cup diced Monterey Jack cheese, 3 tbsps minced cilantro, 1/4 cup chopped green onions, and 1 cup chopped chicken. Stir gently until ingredients are mixed.
- In a separate small bowl mix together 1/4 cup orange juice, 1/4 cup lime juice, 3 tbsps minced jalapeno peppers, 1 tbsp olive oil, and 1/4 tsp cumin.
- Add juice mixture to the bulgur and toss together until all ingredients are well mixed.
- Salt and pepper generously according to taste (Salt is key!).
- Serve either warm or put it in the fridge and eat it cold later!
Notice the pugs' strategic sitting in front of the fridge. Made it very difficult anytime I had to go back in for a forgotten ingredient!
Poor sad, begging lil pugs.
Adapted from My Recipes.