Servings: 2-4 (depends on if you want a big or small dish)
1 cup dry green lentils
1 bag of baby spinach
1 small onion, chopped
1/4 cup carrots, chopped (you could add more; I'm just not a big carrot person)
4 slices bacon, chopped
4 eggs (or more if you want - the more eggs the merrier!)
1/4 teaspoon thyme
2 cups water
Red wine vinegar to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring 1 cup of lentils and 2 cups of water to a boil in a medium pot. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Drain well.
- Heat a pan over medium heat and cook 1 chopped onion, 1/4 cup chopped carrots, 4 slices chopped bacon, and 1/4 tsp thyme about 4-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender.
- Add the cooked lentils and a bag of spinach to the pan. Stir everything together until the spinach leaves wilt.
- Add red wine vinegar, salt and pepper to the lentil mixture to taste.
- Fry or poach 4 eggs so that the whites are solid and the yolks are nice and runny.
- Top the lentil mixture with the eggs (I do two for my dish because I'm an egg monster).
- You can season with more salt and pepper if needed. Because my taste buds are warped from years of eating spicy Korean food I added a couple splashes of Tabasco sauce (mmm extra vinegar taste too!).
- Mash up the egg and enjoy!