This is a good recipe to use stew meat but if you have better cuts of beef handy you can use that and just cut back on the cooking time. Serve this with some brown rice or cous cous and it's an incredibly hearty and satisfying dish! I'm definitely going to make this again soon!
Servings: 3-4 servings
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons cumin
1 pound beef stew meat (1-inch cubes)
4 shallots, quartered
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 (14.5 ounce) can no-salt added diced tomatoes, undrained
3 cups butternut squash, peeled and 1-inch cubed
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup dried cranberries
- Combine 2 tsps paprika, 1 tsp ground cinnamon, 3/4 tsp salt, 1 tsp ginger, 1 tsp crushed red pepper, 1/4 tsp pepper and 2 tbsps cumin in a medium bowl.
- Add 1 lb beef stew meat and toss well to coat.
- Spray cooking spray (or use some olive oil) in Dutch oven and heat over medium-high heat. Add the seasoned beef and 4 quartered shallots. Cook for 4 minutes, until beef is browned, stirring occasionally.
- Add 4 chopped garlic cloves and cook for another minute, stirring frequently.
- Stir in 1/2 cup chicken broth and can of diced tomatoes.
- Bring mixture to a boil and then cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 30 minutes
- Add 3 cups butternut squash and 1/4 cup dried cranberries and simmer for an additional 15-20 minutes, or until squash is tender.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup chopped cilantro and enjoy!
It may not look pretty, but it's super yummy!