Servings: Hm hard to say. I cooked mine in a 9-inch pan and 7 of us had slices and we ate a little more than half the cake so maybe 12-16 servings depending on the size of the slices.
2 cups all-purpose flour (lightly spooned into measuring cups and leveled with knife)
1 teaspoon baking powder
5/8 teaspoon salt, divided
1 2/3 cup granulated sugar
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
2 large eggs, room temperature
1/4 cup canola oil
2 tablespoons grapefruit rind, grated
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup 2% reduced fat milk
1/2 cup grapefruit juice
1 cup powdered sugar
Baking spray or butter/oil for pan and dusting of flour
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Coat pan with baking spray, butter, or oil and lightly dust with flour.
- Pound cake should normally be cooked in a tube pan (the original recipe called for a 10-inch tube pan) as that type of pan helps to ensure the cake is evenly cooked, but since I didn't have one and didn't want to buy one for this cake I used my regular 9x2 cake pan and that worked pretty well. I lined the bottom with parchment paper to help ease removal from pan later. You can also use two loaf pans for this instead. Pound cake rises a lot so make sure you pick a big enough pan with enough height so you don't risk overflow.
- Mix together 2 cups flour, 1 tsp baking powder, and 1/2 tsp salt together in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl add 1 2/3 cup granulated sugar, 6 tbsps butter, and 8 oz cream cheese. Using a mixer beat at high speed until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add 2 large eggs to the mixture, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in 1/4 cup canola oil, 2 tbsps grapefruit rind, and 1/2 tsp vanilla.
- Alternate adding the flour mixture and the milk to the batter, starting and ending with the flour mixture. The batter should be smooth and thick at the end.
- Pour or spoon the batter into the pan and bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes. If you insert a toothpick in the center it should come out mostly clean with moist crumbs on it.
- Cool in pan on a rack for 10 minutes then remove cake from pan and cool completely on rack.
- Bring 1/2 cup grapefruit juice to boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Continue cooking for a few minutes until the grapefruit juice is reduced to about 3-4 tablespoons.
- Stir in 1 cup powdered sugar, and 1/8 tsp salt until the icing is thick and smooth.
- Either drizzle over cake or you can do what I did was to use a knife to evenly spread the icing on top of the cake.
Now enjoy! And here are some photos!
Beginning of course, with some begging pugs.
Mmmmm. I may just have to make this again next year instead of searching around for a new recipe!
Adapted from My Recipes.